Thursday, February 12, 2015

Technology and Blogs in the classroom

     I have been very lucky to be able to work at a technology rich school. I have enough laptops, Ipads, and desktops that each student can be using a device without sharing in all classes. That being said, safety and security are at the forefront of our minds at all times. If a student accesses social media at a base school such as Facebook, it may be frowned upon or possibly encouraged depending on the school. At the JDC, if a student accesses Facebook or Twitter he may be able to post if anyone turned him in or even try to get someone to help him escape. Because of this, we have a SYNC program in every room that projects each laptop on the Whiteboard so I can see what sites students are visiting at all times.
     I have tried many different interactive computer based projects. I use Fakebook quiet often because the students are familiar with the layout and it has so many examples already for them to use. I like this site primarily because students can then write on each other’s Walls when they are done designing and creating their Fakebooks. I have also used Kidblog with them which is very easy to use and free.  I used Kidblog as an opener every day first quarter. We would go over a famous quote as a class and then students would blog about what it meant to them and any connections they made. It was going really well for the first month and then we had a few new intakes who would only write with emoticons, I took those off the toolbar and they began communicating unit to unit about topics not school related. I ended up having to shut it down. However…… if I go to a base school next year, I think it would work well with some serious monitoring.
     I follow one blog religiously. Ken Halla is a teacher at Hayfield High School in Fairfax County and has a paperless classroom. His blogs are usually very short but he gives you some really good resources and I am all about that!!!! Check out his World History Blog here.

       Do you use Blogs in your Classroom? If so how? What works and what doesn't? 






No comments:

Post a Comment