Friday, March 13, 2015

Social Media

     I can see the practical aspects of using social media in your classroom to help with the everyday organizational tasks. It can be used to keep parents informed as to what is going in not only their children's lives but also what the class is doing. I can use Facebook or Twitter to contact both students and parents to explain assignments, give or change due dates, and posting students work. It allows not only students work to be visible but it also is another contact source for parents to reach the teacher. I definitely have a strict policy of not becoming Facebook friends with my students, but I could create a classroom page which would include all students and their parents. 
    
     Another reason I would love to begin using social media in my classroom is for the students benefit. They are growing up in a technology rich world where they can communicate in an instant if they want. In order for them to do it safely, they  need to learn certain skills such as sorting, searching, creating, and communicating. If they can learn them in the classroom along with social studies content and netiquette why not?!  I found this article pretty interesting on the topic. 

Do you teach netiquette in your classroom? How? What tools do you use and how do you incorporate the curriculum into the lesson? 

No comments:

Post a Comment